Board Position - student affairs
Bylaws Requirements and Duties
- All board members: Must be a regular member of the association in
good standing at the time of nomination or appointment and an active
member in association for two years.
- Student Affairs: As a member of the sponsoring chapter, the student
liaison communicates information between the professionals and the
students, and assists the students in making contact with HR
Term of office is one year. The role of Student Affairs consists of the following:
Specific Duties and/or Procedures:
- Become knowledgeable about SHRM’s national student membership
program and the services it provides. Notify the Student Program Manager
at SHRM that you are the designated student liaison from your chapter.
You will then be added to the mailing list to receive student program
- Seek to establish new student chapters at local colleges and
universities offering majors or concentrations in human resources,
business, management, and industrial psychology or related subjects.
- Work with existing chapters to educate the chapter advisor and students to the advantages of membership in SHRM.
- Work with student chapter advisor to foster leadership and organizational skills in student chapter executive board.
- Promote communication between the advisor, student chapter president
and the sponsoring chapter. Ensure a cooperative working relationship.
- Attend student chapter meetings and provide guidance as necessary.
- Facilitate student chapter activities at the professional chapter
level and encourage student participation. Represent the interests of
the students to the professional chapter.
- Coordinate with HRATV Certifications Chairperson to promote
professional certification of students. Facilitate study groups to
assist the students in preparing for the certification exam and the
regional HR collegiate competition.
- Review applications for student scholarships and make recommendations to the Scholarship Award Committee.